Saturday 25 May 2013

Arabia


So you know of my love for Arabia Finland pottery, and many of you share this!


So you'll agree that this example is indeed very special...another offering from eBay, 1 bid win!

Maybe I was the only one prepared to pay the price?($100)
but look at it!

It's porcelain, it's heavy and pure white, stoneware is never this white, always yellowish.
The flat matt black glaze is thick and smooth. 
The sunflower and horse design have been scratched into the glaze called scraffito.

I think it's about 50's or 60's at least? 
I think it is the epitome of Scandinavian design, the contrast of black and white, they do so well!
I would like redecorate my dining room in black and white, pure scandi but I love colour....so much!.... so maybe a compromise then? 

 I will keep you posted on that....I'm working on an idea!  :)

But today I am prepping for my first macramé class!  
I'm very excited if not a bit nervous....people laugh at me when I say that! ....."your a teacher" etc......I say "I teach teenagers and they have to come to my classroom...some willingly!" ;)


I will get there!


I love Photoshop!
Happy weekend to you!

Pippa

Sharing of at Max's today! love an Op Shop Show Off!...hope eBay counts?


21 comments:

  1. Oooh nice...how did I not see that one :) . You will have so much fun teaching adults for a change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray...I'm surprised I snaffled it from under your astute nose! :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful bowl. $100 is a steal! Good for you. Have fun with your class. I bet you have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lovely, I will tell you all about it, soon! x

      Delete
  3. Oh, I am absolutely swooning over that bowl. It's amazing!

    I agree that teaching teenagers and teaching adults is a totally different proposition. I never felt the least bit nervous in front of kids, but I've been known to get a bit of stage fright, especially when speaking before large audiences of adults. I know you'll do a great job though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought u might! ...thanks Dana, will give it my best! x

      Delete
  4. That is gorgeous! I think if you love it, the price is worth it.

    Funny, I am fine in front of primary school kids and adults but no good with those strange people between the ages of 12 and 18!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah and thanks!
      Yes they can be strange ;)

      Delete
  5. that is one classy piece of pottery!
    I too am contemplating more black to balance all the wood at home, looking forward to seeing what you do-the bowl is an excellent start.
    and yes, if it's second hand, from any source your more than welcome to show-off with us x

    ps. i'm sure your's will be a class class

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Max and thanks for having me! ...and your right, black does seem to balance out wood! Will remember that x

      Delete
  6. Great piece of pottery. Good luck with the class x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great bowl - I like the black and white. The class will be a huge success. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh it's gorgeous!! I love Scandi ceramics, and I have a thing for Finel enamel bowls...never cheap but they give so much pleasure. Hope the class goes well, I'm sure it will! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a thing for Finel bowls too....they are on the wish list...which keeps getting longer!! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thats Divine....pure scandi...love it...good luck with your class...if you enjoy it they will....you will be fine....!
    D x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was actually wondering if you taught classes! I did macrame when I was younger and made my granddad an owl wall hanging - so wish I could get it back now, (he lives in America and I have no idea if he even still has it). I was ahead of my time, hee hee!
    Would love to learn again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a go again! It will come back to you! Fingers crossed the owl is still around! :)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.